- Satoru started off (literally: began to walk ahead) as if to say: "Don't say anything and follow me."
- My section chief glared at me as if to tell me not to ask any unnecessary questions.
- The fog had cleared, so I took pictures furiously, as if it were my only chance.
- Takemoto vented his long-held complaints as if he were convinced this was the time (to do so).
- She threw off (literally: ﬂung) the intruder with a yell (literally: as if yelling, "Ei.!").
- The ﬂowers in the garden were blooming beautifully, as if they wanted us to take their pictures.
- I began aerobics believing that the day you think of something is an auspicious day to start it.
- I ate as much sashimi as I could, as if I were convinced it was the last day I could eat fresh ﬁsh.
- Mamoru left for a one-week trip, seemingly convinced that it would refresh his mind.
- Seeming to have decided that this was a great opportunity, they protested that their wages were low.
|(i) Direct Quotation||とばかりに|
|「それ！」とばかりに||As if to say, “there you go!”|
|(ii) Indirect Quotation||とばかりに|
|そうはさせないとばかりに||As if so to say that someone wouldn’t let someone do that|
|チャンスとばかりに||As if someone had decided that this were someone’s great opportunity|